Thursday, July 10, 2008

Fears

Tonight I am letting a fear freak me out. Spiders! Just a few days ago, while talking to some friends, one of them was telling us of a girl who got bit by a recluse spider and her kidneys almost shut down and she almost died. Now, I am already terrified of spiders as it is....add something like this and I am over the top. Well, it just so happens that the next evening...not kidding...I walked into the entryway into our garage and two big spiders started to scatter. I screamed and the kids come running wondering where the spider is because the only time I scream is when I see a spider. Mark comes and gets it and what is it? A recluse! I could hardly sleep for fear that maybe we are infested with them. To top it off, tonight I grabbed a throw blanket to put up and a big spider went scattering. It went hiding too fast to tell what it was but in my mind, it was a recluse. So now, I am sitting here scared of these little things. It also has me thinking about fears and how they can totally paralyze. I wish I could say that spiders are my only fears but they are not....add to that list elevators and airplanes (and I am sure there are some others I have forgotten). There are so many scriptures that I hold onto and memorize to help me when I am faced with one of these issues. So why do I still struggle? Is it because they frighten me enough to need Him or is it that I haven't totally let go of that fear and given it to him?.....or both???? I call Him "My Hiding Place" most of the time, I just wish I could learn to stay there awhile and not run in and out.

"Therefore I am well content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ's sake; for when I am weak, them I am strong."

2 comments:

Kayla said...

I HATE spiders to. They are soooo scary!!!!

Marci said...

OK, I did this too on vacation. Driving up the mountain to our cabin scared me to DEATH. My husband was pretty irritated with how scared I was, but it was completely overwhelming and uncontrollable at the time. If I had sat at the bottom before going up and meditated on scripture and prayed- - -MAYBE I would have felt a little better. But of course, we didn't do that and I was "white knuckling" it all the way up.

It is hard to put things in perspective when we are overcome with fears. I think it forces us to rely on Him!!