Monday, July 28, 2008

"This is the best day ever mommy!"

I have noticed on some of the blogs that I read that they do "Thankful Thursdays" where they list everything they are thankful for every Thursday. Well, today isn't Thursday but these last few days I have had days that have left me overwhelmingly grateful that I needed to share.

For starters, I have had sick kids this last week. (no, this is not what I am thankful for :)) Hope was sick first then Carys came down with a high fever Friday. On Saturday I loaded her up along with her brother Shepard and we headed to the Immediate Physicians Care since our Pediatrician's office was closed. We found out she had strep throat and got our prescription. After we left I decided to zip into Staples real quick to grab a few school supplies. While shopping we came upon a table with all kinds of "pretty" paper clips. Carys was so excited and begged that we get some so we got a small container and filled it up with these cool paperclips that will look so pretty with our schoolwork. She squealed with delight as she was jumping up and down. (for those of you who know Carys, I am sure you are envisioning this) On the way to the drug store I announced that she could pick out a drink and some candy when we got there. Again, she got overly excited and exclaims..."This is the best day ever mommy!" I laughed to myself that she was having the best day ever while running 101 temp and couldn't swallow without terrible pain. Thankfulness flooded in as I smiled back to her through the rear view mirror. I am thankful for such a happy, thoughtful little girl who gets excited about the small things in life.

I am also thankful for Mark's job change because now our insurance covers the doctors here in B'ville again. I used to have to go to Owasso for every visit and it got tiring. Today, I took Shepard for his one month checkup and got to see our favorite doctor....Dr. McQuillen! I am thankful for such a wonderful, caring, listening Doctor who not only knows us by name but knows what is going on in our lives. It had been a year since we went to him and when he saw us in the hall he came right up and said how much he missed us. He chit chatted with us for quite awhile before we even got into the room. Now that's a Doctor!

I am thankful for the clear bill of health for little Shepard. We had health issues with little Hope when we was born with 3 holes in her heart. (runs in my family) We didn't find out with Hope until her 1 month check up because the blood pressure in babies don't fall until then to detect the murmur. I was holding my breath as he checked out Shepard's little heart and relieved that he is fine. Thank you Lord!

I left the dr.'s office feeling so thankful for my family that I could just burst. As Carys would say..."This is the best day ever!"

Now, would this had been the "best day ever" if I had to drive to Owasso and find out Shepard also had a heart defect????? No. Would I be thankful? No, not right away. It is hard for me to be thankful at the moment when things go wrong. I know I am supposed to but it doesn't come right away. sigh.

4 comments:

mom2camo said...

I love how the "small" things are so "big" to children. Sounds like you have a lot to be thankful for today! I love that God knows what we can handle by His grace each day, and only gives us exactly what we need. It was good to run into you at my favorite store the other day!

Dalene said...

What a sweetheart! It's good to remember to be thankful, even for the teeny-tiny blessings of life. Some days, they're all we get! I think I'll sit outside and watch the sunset tonight. Thanks for the reminder.

Lori Leigh said...

It is always so good for me to do a "thankful thursday"! It helps put things back in perspective. Thanks for sharing yours!

Marci said...

I love the simplicity of the things that make kids happy!